Monday, August 8, 2011

It's Not Easy Being a Poet

For as long as I can remember I have attempted to write engaging, emotionally driven poetry.  You know, the kind that once it's been read the reader has to take a deep breath and say, "Wow".  Well, every time I put my pen to paper, and let my thoughts flow through in a poem, I am hoping that once it's completed I have created a "Wow" piece.

Sometimes I nail it on the first draft (and I use "sometimes" lightly).  Most of the time though I read over a poem and it's never quite good enough on that trial run.  So I edit it; almost to death.  Happy with the end result, and convinced it will illicit a deep response within the reader, I save it to my computer and file it away with the others...

Or at least that's what I used to do.  Recently I have joined a certain website where I am able to finally share my life's writings.  Because let's face it, my poems may sound good in MY mind, but who really knows if they are any good unless someone on the outside critiques them?  And that is what this website does, it allows for comments/feedback and, if one was so inclined and REALLY likes what they read, it allows a fellow writer to follow you and your written word.

After two months and 48 posts (44 of those are poems) I have acquired a small following of 41 members, lots of wonderful, ego-inflating comments and my writings have officially been read over 1500 times... Suddenly I start thinking about publishing these babies for real; like in a book.  Getting paid to do what I love?  I'm all over it.

Maybe I am WAY ahead of myself here, but I still believe in having dreams.  Lately I have been scouring the internet for information regarding the possibility of publishing my collection of poems and have found there is virtually no market for poetry.  Unless you are already big time, no one cares.

That being said, I did find many, many self-publishing agencies that would jump at the chance to publish my stuff; for a pretty penny.  I guess the moral of today is that in order to see money generated from my written pieces I am probably going to have to spend some money in the process... So until I save up enough to make my dream a reality, I would like to share one of my poems today with whoever decided to read this (thanks so much by the way!).

I wrote this particular poem for my husband.  He's in the Navy and will be leaving on a long deployment soon.  I was thinking about how I would handle the distance and this came to me.  Enjoy!  (And feel free to leave feedback...:)) 

The Stars Wish to Dispel

Without you for months
Will be very hard
But late at night
I will look to the stars

Hoping and praying
You see what I do
Are the stars burning brightly
In your eyes, too?

Does Venus glow
And shine serene?
Is she even more beautiful
When you're out at sea?

When you look at the sky
Does it glitter all the time?
Do the heavens dance
And sparkle at night?

Is the ambient light
From the moon surreal?
Does it make you sense something
You don't want to feel?

Because here's it too muted
And dark to tell
Of the radiance and light
The stars wish to dispel
 

Sarah Shepherd
 

No comments:

Post a Comment