Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tribute to a Vietnam Vet

Today I am going to start off this writing with a poem I wrote recently in honor of a close family friend.  He served in the Army and while in Vietnam, and like countless others, experienced harrowing events and scenes that most of us today could not, would not, want to imagine.

Tribute to a Vietnam Vet

Bullets whiz around me
As I bury in this field
I see a wounded comrade
And move to act as shield

Covering his mangled body
I provide the cover fire
I see his violent injury
And try to save his life

Holding him together
I'm praying we'll be saved
Night creeps in around us
And eventually becomes day

Guns still explode around us
But I see help is on it's way
A helicopter lands nearby
An escape is to be made

Adrenalin surges through me
As I heft the man and run
Chopper's our salvation
If I get us there we're done

Every step is in slow motion
As I watch the bullets pass
We finally reach our savior
The motors start to blast

Flying out and away
I'm numb from the ordeal
That we have just survived this
Is definately surreal

My comrade he survives
Through injuries severe
I never got to know him
It would take many, many years

We "met" again at a reunion
He knew just who I was
Humbled and emotional
He embraced me in a hug

One of my best friends now
A staple in my life
Respecting what we went through
We don't mention that tough time

Because it's hard for me now
To speak of those we lost
I will not ever talk about
My time in Vietnam

Even before my husband joined the Navy I was a very patriotic person.  I love this country and am grateful to those who have, and continue to, lay their lives on the line so that we as residents may continue to live a collective life of freedom.

The people who picket against war and those fighting in them, and the disgusting individuals who ambush funerals of fallen soldiers and who clearly do not appreciate or respect the service and sacrifice of our military members, should be exiled to another, less civilized country.  I would like to see them pull that crap somewhere other than America.

On another note, Matt hasn't left on a deployment yet (he's scheduled to leave for 6 months in March 2012), but believe me, I think about the day he will leave quite a bit.  How will I handle it?  How will our son handle it?  Because I think it's pretty obvious that I'll be sad, but right now I tell myself that when the time comes I will be strong.  Even if I'm depressed while he is away I will put on a brave face and fake it until I make it.

I want to end this by sending out my love to all the families of the recently fallen Navy SEALS.  My heart breaks at their terrible loss... I cannot fathom the pain they are experiencing.  God bless to you all.



2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful Sarah! You have such a gift to write, I can feel your emotion through your words. Keep up the good work!!

    -Shelli

    ReplyDelete